Rustom Mody <rustompm...@gmail.com>:

> On Sunday, February 28, 2016 at 8:38:49 PM UTC+5:30, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>> We are talking about GUI tools to produce what? Crap?
>
> You (seem to) be saying that excel is crap.
> Do you know it well enough to make that judgement?
> Do you have equivalent functionality in some other tool?

Well, now you mention it, I have a third anecdote. For years I was the
treasurer of a soccer team. My predecessors had used Excel for the
purpose, with varying success. The accounting software I chose for the
job was -- Python.

I entered the transactions in Python and had the main program output all
the needed reports: Excel, HTML, email. I believe it would have been a
nightmare to do it any other way.

As for Excel being crap, I have seen admirable, heroic, colossal efforts
put in a lot of GUI apps (web or otherwise) but the results still coming
short: Excel, Atlassian, Eclipse. Thing is, I wonder if the whole GUI
paradigm is only suitable for very simple, naive things.

An exception to that comment would be games. They really are often
awe-inspiring achievements.

Marko