On 09/03/2016 23:35, Mark Lawrence wrote:
On 09/03/2016 23:14, BartC wrote:

(The byte-code compiler for the current version is written in itself. It
can compile itself (some 25Kloc) in about 1 second (that's running
interpreted, dynamic byte-code on a not-very-fast PC).

Please answer my question, will it be tested against real world
benchmarks or microbenchmarks?  The above paragraph, and several
following paragraphs, are completely irrelevant.

You think a bloody great compiler is a microbenchmark?!

A compiler is another good 'pure language' task because, apart from
input and output at each end, all the computation is self-contained.)

I've no idea what this is meant to mean.

It means the task doesn't do any function calls to external libraries.

If you're benchmarking, that's usually what you want.

I'm not much interested in Unicode at the minute. I'll pass.

Your final comment sums up perfectly your knowledge of computing in
2016.

You're utterly determined to belittle everything I do aren't you!

But, yeah, I was writing international applications decades ago. I'm not working for anyone now and don't need to bother.

From what I've seen, a lot of software can't get it right anyway.

--
Bartc