On 23/03/2016 06:09, Ben Finney wrote:
Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> writes:

On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 06:47 pm, Ben Finney wrote:

Bart can show good faith by *learning* idiomatic Python, with the
humility of a beginner. And also by refraining from rhetoric about
how bad Python's performance is, until he gains experience to make
those claims.

"Humility of a beginner"... what a strange phrase to use about
somebody who has been programming for decades.

What a strange reading of what I wrote. Clearly I'm referring to the
fact Bart is a beginner in Python.

To show good faith in learning Python – if indeed that is what Bart
wants, which I'm not convinced of given how much he prefers to talk
about a different private programming language instead – then he should
be taking advantage of the teaching resources that have been offered
numerous times.

What exactly is the problem here? Is it that Bart hasn't earned the
right to say what we all know, that Python is slow, because he's an
outsider?

The problem is that Bart simultaneously is a beginner at Python, and
expresses astonishment that everyone shrugs when Bart's
dreadfully-written code performs so badly.

Good faith is contradicted by asserting knowledge of Python, complaining
about how some deliberately non-idiomatic Python code is performing
poorly, dismissing suggestions for improvement — specifically in the
context of someone who admittedly knows so little about Python.

+1

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence