On 6/4/2016 4:24 AM, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
Paul Rudin <paul.nos...@rudin.co.uk>:

Don't confuse consideration with agreement - they're seperate legal
concepts.

Agreement is certainly necessary in pretty much all jurisdictions.
Consideration is required in most common law jurisdiction (England,
the US, most of the commonwealth) but not in many continental legal
systems.

Thankfully, I live in a jurisdiction where things are simpler. I've
actually successfully represented a relative in a court of law without
any legal training.

In Finland, it is common for families to have a printed copy of the law
on the bookshelf.

How wonderful that 'the law' can fit in a book. English-speaking common law commentaries once had Blackstone's 4 volume Commentaries (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Blackstone#Commentaries_on_the_Laws_of_England), but bookshelve of statute laws seem to have overwhelmed that, at least in the US.

> Families traditionally sort out things like
inheritances without the involvement of lawyers. Nowadays, the law is
available online, of course.

For free, I presume. I just discovered that the Delaware Code is now online http://delcode.delaware.gov/index.shtml.

--
Terry Jan Reedy