On 31/12/2016 15:27, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 12:04:57 +0000, mm0fmf <n...@invalid.com> declaimed the
following:

Though they do write road info upside down on the road surface,
typically XING with PED underneath. I had to ask what XINGPED meant till
my colleague driving said it was PEDXING, pedestrian crossing. Why write
it the wrong way though?

        For those I've encountered with multiple lines of text, the lines are
placed in the order one sees them.

        Yes, in a helicopter they would be reversed, but from the view in a
car, one sees the "PED" first, with the "XING" becoming visible as the
"PED" begins to be blocked by the hood (or should I say "bonnet").

That could explain why there are so many crashes in the US, the drivers are looking at the road right in front of the hood/bonnet and not in the distance where you see XING and PED. I know some writing is written right to left and some is left to right and some is top to bottom but I've never come across bottom to top! ;-)