I know I can load multiple gettext.translation:

  it = gettext.translation('test', localedir="locale", languages=["it"])
  es = gettext.translation('test', localedir="locale", languages=["es"])

and install one translation at run-time when I want at a later time (when the user selects a new language):

  it.install()
or
  es.install()

However the problem is that strings already translated are not translated again when a new translation is installed. So they stay at the language selected during start-up and don't change after a new install().

One solution is to restart the application, but I think there's a better and more elegant solution.