On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 12:24 PM, Stefan Ram <r...@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>   One might wish to implement a small language with these commands:
>
> F - move forward
> B - move backward
> L - larger stepsize
> S - smaller stepsize
>
>   . One could start with the following pseudocode for a dictionary:
>
> { 'F': lambda: myturtle.forward( s ),
>   'B': lambda: myturtle.backward( s ),
>   'L': lambda: global s; s *= 2,
>   'S': lambda: global s; s /= 2 }
>
>   . But lambda-expressions cannot contain statements.
>
>   Any other suggestions?

There are a few options here. One is to make use of a simple
"collector decorator":

commands = {}
def cmd(f):
    commands[f.__name__.upper()] = f
    return f

@cmd
def f():
    myturtle.forward( s )

@cmd
def b():
    myturtle.backward( s )

@cmd
def l():
    global siz
    size *= 2

@cmd
def s():
    global siz
    size //= 2

(Also untested, but the pattern is one I've used many times.)

Another is to deploy the whole thing as a class, with no globals:

class Turtle:
    def __init__(self):
        self.size = ...
        self.turtle = ...
    def cmd_F(self):
        self.turtle.forward(self.size)
    def cmd_B(self):
        self.turtle.backward(self.size)
    def cmd_L(self):
        self.size *= 2
    def cmd_S(self):
        self.size //= 2

Note that I've added "cmd_" in front of the names, which means you can
safely getattr(turtle, "cmd_" + letter) and be confident you won't
accidentally grab something that isn't a command.

(Note also that I used // for division. If your size is actually a
float, then change those back to single slashes.)

Either of these patterns would work fairly well. There are others,
too, but I'd be inclined to use one of these.

ChrisA