On 28Nov2017 08:03, Marko Rauhamaa <ma...@pacujo.net> wrote:
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>:
And this is exactly what I'm warning about. Many Linux users see some
kind of failure and just stick sudo on the front of the command. It is
almost always the wrong things to do, leading to effects in the OS
install area instead of being safely contained within one's home
directory or work area.

I can see the idea of installing software in a particular work area, but
have a harder time seeing how installing software in a user's home
directory is usually a good idea.

Often your home directory is more sacrosanct than the rest of the
machine. After all, your precious, unique, private data is in your home
directory while the OS is just a generic, reproducible installation.

Well, that is true, but on a personal basis my work areas are in well defined places within my home directory. Also, it is traditionally easier to repair one's home directory that the do a clean full OS install without accidentally trashing one's home directory.

The "pip install --user" incantation installs packages in a very well defined location within your home directory accessed by the default python sys.path. And there's always virtualenv to make per-project areas for distinct pip activities; I keep mine in ~/var/venv/BLAH to keep my home directory pristine.

The core idea is to keep away from the OS to avoid trouble, and one's home directory is a presupplied are where one has a free hand. Keeping it tidy and organised is of course desirable.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au> (formerly c...@zip.com.au)