> On 8 Jun 2018, at 18:04, adam.pre...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> I have a situation where internally I need to distribute some Python code
> using Linux packages rather than simply relying on wheel files. This seems to
> be a solved problem because a lot of Python modules clearly get distributed
> as .rpm and .deb. It's not completely unreasonable because soon I will have
> some other modules that are depending on binary applications that are also
> coming in from packages, and having the system package manage resolve and
> install all this is convenient. I'm not really in a political position to
> change that policy, for what it's worth.
>
> I'm still stuck in Python 2.7 here for at least a few more months. Also, it
> probably helps to know this is a pure Python module that doesn't have to
> compile any native code.
>
> Creating a package itself isn't a problem. In my case, I bandied with the
> bdist_rpm rule in setup.py, and used stdeb to add a bdist_deb rule. I get rpm
> and deb files from these, but they seem to be plagued with a problem of
> making assumptions about paths based on my build environment. I'm building on
> an Ubuntu rig where Python modules are installed into dist-packages. The rpm
> package will try to install my module into dist-packages instead of
> site-packages on a Red Hat rig. I haven't yet tried the Debian package on
> different rigs, but the stdeb documentation did call out that this likely
> won't work.
>
> I'm wondering first if many of the modules we see in packages right now are
> actually literally being built using Jenkins or some other CD tool on every
> major OS distribution. If that's the case then at least I know and I can try
> to do that. I was surprised that I couldn't easily provide some additional
> flags. I believe I can specify a setup.cfg that can override the module
> installation path, and I think I can do a little shell script to just rotate
> different setup.cfg files through, but I can't help but wonder if I'm even on
> the right path.
> --

The way I learn about the details of RPM packaging is to look at examples like
what I wish to achieve.

I would go get the source RPM for a python2 package from each distro you want
to supoort and read its .spec file.

I see on fedora that the way they install packages that are from pypi makes it
possible to use pip list to see them.

Barry