On Sunday, June 10, 2018 at 3:05:45 PM UTC-5, Barry wrote:

> The way I learn about the details of RPM packaging is to look at examples
> like what I wish to achieve.
>
> I would go get the source RPM for a python2 package from each distro you want
> to supoort and read its .spec file.
>
> I see on fedora that the way they install packages that are from pypi makes
> it possible to use pip list to see them.

The impression I'm getting is that they're using tools to help in this process,
rather than manually specifying crafting the package descriptors and shell
scripts. I'd like to do similar, of course, since it sounds like it's a lot
easier.

I have looked at a few already, which is where I got where I was already. In
Debian packages I see a lot of references to dh_python, and the regularity of
it implies the lines in question are being generated--but by what? The source
packages will have these generated outputs, which means it's already too late
in the process when it comes to reverse engineering what generated those
outputs.