On 05/07/2018 21:43, Jim Lee wrote:
identifying the poisonous berries.

I would respect your analogy more if every compiler used today were
forty years old and not being developed by anyone other than its
original creator(s).

ChrisA

It's not about compilers - it's about skills.  As programming becomes more and more specialized, it becomes harder and harder to find programmers with a skill set broad enough to be adaptable to a different task.

-Jim

I suspect compiler writing is a task that an AI could be taught. The villagers will shout "hey siri I need a compiler" and one will be provided, of course by that time they will all have forgotten about eating berries in favour of soma or equivalent.
--
Robin Becker