On 2018-07-16 17:31, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 16:38:41 -0700, Jim Lee wrote:

As I said, there are programming situations where the programmer only
needs to deal with a single language - his own.

This might come as a shock to you, but just because Python's native
string type supports (for example) the Devanagari alphabet, that doesn't
mean you are forced to use it in your code or application.

# Look ma, not a single Cyrillic or Greek or Tagalog letter in sight!
label = "something interesting"

Don't worry, the UN Language Police aren't going to force you at gunpoint
to label your output in Khmer, Hiragana and Gujarati if you don't want to.

The vast majority of what I write could be handled by ASCII.

However, sometimes I want to write £, so I'd have to extend that to Latin-1.
On rare occasions I want to write something that Latin-1 can't handle.

That would mean having modify any scripts to support some other encoding too.

Being lazy, I just opted for doing it all in Unicode and UTF-8.