On 01/08/2018 14:38, Chris Angelico wrote:
t's a warning designed to help people port code from Py2 to Py3. It's
not meant to catch every possible comparison. Unless you are actually
porting Py2 code and are worried that you'll be accidentally comparing
bytes and text, just*don't use the -b switch*  and there will be no
problems.

I don't understand what the issue is here.

I don't either, I have never used the -b flag until the issue was raised on bitbucket. If someone is testing a program with reportlab and uses that flag then they get a lot of warnings from this dictionary assignment. Probably the code needs tightening so that we insist on using native strings everywhere; that's quite hard for py2/3 compatible code.
--
Robin Becker