On 27/09/2019 15:28, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 10:48:29 +0100, RobH <r...@despammer.com> declaimed the
following:

Ok, the adafruit_character_lcd is in the same directory as yours, and so
is Blinka and Purio. It seems to be a bit of a long path to type to get
to the Adafruit_Charlcd directory, but is there a shortcut way of
getting to the said directory.

        Other than to examine the source code of the library you have no need
to specify the directory... Within a Python script, a plain "import" should
work.

pi@raspberrypi:~$ python3
Python 3.7.3 (default, Apr  3 2019, 05:39:12)
[GCC 8.2.0] on linux
import adafruit_blinka
import adafruit_character_lcd as acl
dir(acl)
['__doc__', '__file__', '__loader__', '__name__', '__package__',
'__path__', '__spec__']
help(acl)

Help on package adafruit_character_lcd:

NAME
     adafruit_character_lcd

PACKAGE CONTENTS
     character_lcd
     character_lcd_i2c
     character_lcd_rgb_i2c
     character_lcd_spi

FILE
     (built-in)

(END)
from adafruit_character_lcd import character_lcd as cl
help(cl)
Help on module adafruit_character_lcd.character_lcd in
adafruit_character_lcd:

NAME
     adafruit_character_lcd.character_lcd

DESCRIPTION
     `adafruit_character_lcd.character_lcd`

     Module for interfacing with monochromatic character LCDs

     * Author(s): Kattni Rembor, Brent Rubell, Asher Lieber,
       Tony DiCola (original python charLCD library)

     Implementation Notes
     --------------------

     **Hardware:**

     "* `Adafruit Character LCDs <http://www.adafruit.com/category/63_96>`_"

     **Software and Dependencies:**

     * Adafruit CircuitPython firmware:
       https://github.com/adafruit/circuitpython/releases
     * Adafruit's Bus Device library (when using I2C/SPI):
       https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_CircuitPython_BusDevice

CLASSES
{AND MUCH MORE}

Thanks for all that information, but first of all using just import adafruit blinka did not work as it returned bas: import: command not found.

I should say that this is on a raspberry pi zero w, if it makes any difference.