On 25/04/20 5:16 PM, Manfred Lotz wrote:
On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 19:12:39 -0300
Cholo Lennon <chololen...@hotmail.com> wrote:

On 24/4/20 15:40, Manfred Lotz wrote:
I have a command like application which checks a directory tree for
certain things. If there are errors then messages will be written to
stdout.

How to test this in the best way?

One idea was for the error situations to write messages to files and
then later when running the tests to compare the error messages
output to the previously saved output.

Is there anything better?

Maybe I am wrong because I don't understand your scenario: If your
application is like a command, it has to return an error code to the
system, a distinct number for each error condition. The error code is
easier to test than the stdout/stderr.

Yes, a different error code for each condition is good to test.
However, I need to test as well the correct file name and other values
belonging to a certain error condition.

It is frustrating to be shown only part of the information, and later be told our efforts aren't good-enough. How about respecting our (donated) time, and posting some sample code that shows exactly what/where the problem lies?

From the above, I'm wondering if a custom exception might be applicable.

--
Regards =dn