https://bugs.python.org/issue40553

At least a couple of people have had problems using SaveAs from IDLE when running on macOS Catalina. But Ned Deily cannot reproduce the issue. I cannot because I have refused the buggy 'upgrade'. We could use more data. What do other Catalina Python users experience?

If not an IDLE user, the experiment is easy.

In terminal:
$ python3 -m idlelib

In IDLE:
File => New
File => SaveAs

In the macOS saveas dialog:
Enter a minimal name that does not match an existing .py name in Documents. Hit [Save] button. Does the dialog save and close, or does it clear the Document content list and freeze?

The three Apple apps I looked at, Safari, Maps, and Keynote do not display folder contents. This might be the problem. What do other Mac apps do?

--
Terry Jan Reedy