On 5/29/2020 4:30 PM, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
On 2020-05-28 18:14:53 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:
On 2020-05-19 05:59:30 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:
Nobody ever requires you to comply with it for any other code.

That's obviously not true:
[...]
Revise Chris' claim to "Neither the PSF nor the Python core developers
require* that owners of non-stdlib code comply with PEP 8" and it would be
true.

Well, yes. But "Neither the PSF nor the Python core developers" is quite
different from "Nobody ever".

Right, I modified a statement that takenly literally is obvious false, undefensible, and not worth discussing to one that I believe to be true and that says something important. I would qualify further to people in their PSF/core-dev roles. There might be core-devs who enforce PEP-8 in other roles.

That's like saying "Nobody has ever been on the moon" is true if you
replace "Nobody" with "No catholic bishop".

Only as the level of an empty generic template. <noun> has ever <verbed>. Semantically, the two statements are not at all paralley. The PSF/core-devs own python and PEP-8. Catholic bishops do not own either the moon or means of walking there. And there would be nothing wrong if a Catholic bishop were to walk on the moon, and I can imagine (and hope) that one might someday do so.

--
Terry Jan Reedy