On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 4:52 AM Mr Flibble
<flib...@i42.removethisbit.co.uk> wrote:

> On 11/02/2021 15:13, Chris Angelico wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 11:36 PM Mr Flibble
> > <flib...@i42.removethisbit.co.uk> wrote:
> >>

> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> I am starting work on creating a new Python implementation from scratch
> >> using "neos" my universal compiler that can compile any programming
> >> language.
> >
> > Is it your intention to support all of Python's syntax and semantics,
>
> Yes.
>
> > or is this an unrelated language with mandatory strict type tags and a
> > severely restricted set of data types? For instance, can your neos
> > compile this code?
>
> No. The neos universal compiler itself is language agnostic: a pre-requisite
> for the requirement to be able to compile any programming language.

Okay, cool, then I misunderstood the point of neoscript (I thought you
would compile Python to neoscript and then neoscript to binary).

As Dan says, go for it, give it a go. I think it'll give you a very
good demonstration of how CPython, and especially PyPy, are actually
highly performant languages :)

> You are timing the arithmetic library rather than the interpreter.

Hmm, I didn't call on any library functions. The crucial and
time-consuming operations were entirely implemented using operators on
constants.

(I also deliberately reused the name "time" in multiple ways, just to
stress-test anything that tries to restrict data types.)

In any case, it's not Python if it can't handle arbitrarily large
numbers. Python is an excellent language for mathematics.

ChrisA