On 12/02/2021 08.53, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 6:47 AM dn via Python-list
> <python-list@python.org> wrote:
>> 3
>> My mind is whirling in an attempt to understand "show me a better time".
>> Does this perhaps indicate that @Chris' social life leaves something to
>> be desired? Are Python-nerds really the ones to turn-to for dating
>> advice, or is that not what @Chris means by "(having) a good time"?
>
> LOL! I was referring to the fact that my demonstration snippet
> included a rudimentary timing bracket, and that, if existing Python
> implementations are indeed abysmally slow, it should be possible to
> run the same code on a different interpreter and get a lower number -
> a "better" time being shorter.

Agreed.

I've been 'bitten' by running 'the same' interpreter on different
hardware/configs and finding that one part of the program[me] ran faster
on the dev-machine, and another part faster on the prod-box. Felt a bit
like a no-win situation! Timing was an important contribution. However,
needing to perform same in-situ was a surprise. 'Gotcha'!

There are a lot of variables in the efficiency-game. It's not completely
cut-and-dried to say this, but as a general rule-of-thumb one does not
select Python for applications/components which have significant
execution-time constraints/requirements. However, Python is rarely
bettered when it comes to developer-time! Horses for courses...

As to being outrageously cheeky: even if COVID travel-restrictions have
been lifted, knowing the Tasman Sea remains between us,
allowed/emboldened me to go for the prize(?) for finding at least some
word-play to laugh-about in this whole conversation.

PS my version of bravery is that if you come after me carrying a big
stick, I shall run in the opposite direction - very quickly!

PPS speaking of travel: have you taken advantage of any of the
"vouchers" offered by your (Fed?State) government as an economic
stimulus/recovery for the hospitality industry?
--
Regards,
=dn