It could be but I've seen them used somewhere else.

I wouldn't bikeshed on this yet, as I haven't found a way to do this so far. Let's imagine the following parser:

parser.add_argument('things',action='append')
parser.add_argument('stuff',action='append')

At least from my point of view, I don't any way to separate both lists on this command call:

cool-script.py thing1 thing2 stuff1 stuff2

Do I miss something here?

Best
Sven