Roel Schroeven schreef op 28/12/2022 om 19:59:
Alexander Richert - NOAA Affiliate via Python-list schreef op 28/12/2022 om 19:42:
  In a couple recent versions of Python (including 3.8 and 3.10), the
following code:
import re
print(re.sub(".*", "replacement", "pattern"))
yields the output "replacementreplacement".

This behavior does not occur in 3.6.

Which behavior is the desired one? Perhaps relatedly, I noticed that even
in 3.6, the code
print(re.findall(".*","pattern"))
yields ['pattern',''] which is not what I was expecting.
The documentation for re.sub() and re.findall() has these notes: "Changed in version 3.7: Empty matches for the pattern are replaced when adjacent to a previous non-empty match." and "Changed in version 3.7: Non-empty matches can now start just after a previous empty match." That's probably describes the behavior you're seeing. ".*" first matches "pattern", which is a non-empty match; then it matches the empty string at the end, which is an empty match but is replaced because it is adjacent to a non-empty match.

Seems somewhat counter-intuitive to me, but AFAICS it's the intended behavior.
For what it's worth, there's some discussion about this in this Github issue: https://github.com/python/cpython/issues/76489

--
"Je ne suis pas d’accord avec ce que vous dites, mais je me battrai jusqu’à
la mort pour que vous ayez le droit de le dire."