jak <nos...@please.ty> wrote:
> Chris Green ha scritto:
> > jak <nos...@please.ty> wrote:

> >> I thought it only dealt about audio.
> >
> > That's why I hadn't thought it would help me as I'm after getting
> > metadata from an MP4 video file but I guess the metadata format may be
> > the same regardless of whether it's video or audio.
> >

> Easiest way I found was run ffprobe command via popen. It can output the
> information you need in json format which is easily readable with the
> json library.
>
> command:
> ffprobe -v warning -i "input.mp4" -show_streams -of json
> python:
> Popen(command, stderr=STDOUT, stdout=PIPE, encoding='utf8')
> json:
> json.loads(''.join(p.stdout.readlines()))
>
> It's easy to find a version of ffmpeg/ffprobe for every platform.

Thank you, that worked straight away, ffprobe is installed on my
systems already and I can probably just grep for the tag I want as all
I'm looking for is the date of its creation which appears (twice) with
the tag "creation_time".

This is just to handle the occasional MP4 that a python program which
basically manages JPEGs can't handle.  It throws an exception so I can
just get that to run a simple bash script to get the creation date.

--
Chris Green
ยท