On 10/26/2023 4:25 PM, o1bigtenor via Python-list wrote:
On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 11:43 AM Michael Torrie via Python-list
<python-list@python.org> wrote:

On 10/26/23 06:34, o1bigtenor wrote:
Interesting - - - -  ". . . see if it runs." - - - that's the issue!
When the code is accessing sensors there isn't an easy way to
check that the code is working until one has done the all of the
physical construction. If I'm trying to control a pulsation system
using square waves with distinct needs for timing etc I hadn't
seen any way of 'stepping through the code' (phrase you use later).

Having dabbled in embedded electronics, all I can say is you will just
have to build it and try to get it working.  Failure is always an
option.  If I understand you correctly, this is for a hobby interest, so
go at it and have fun.

Stepping through code is a basic part of debugging in any language.
They all have tools for it. Google for python debugging.

"distinct needs for timing?"  Did you forget to tell us you need to use
MicroPython?  Certainly MicroPython running on a microcontroller with
help from hardware timers certainly can do it, but this mailing list is
not the place to ask about it.  Instead you'll have to visit a forum on
MicroPython or CircuitPython.  By the way you definitely can step
through MicroPython code one line at a time with a remote debugger, say
with Visual Studio Code.

Its one of the reasons to use micropython - - - it is a subset of python.
I didn't think I was asking about micropython here though. The project with
the square wave stuff has lots going on so its more likely that regular python
will be used. Part of the challenge is trying to figure out if I need to be
running a real time kernel or even a real time OS. Independent information
is quite hard to find - - - seems like most of the information is by someone
with skin in the game and then without a background its hard to figure out
if what they're saying tells enough so that I can make a good decision or
not.

[snip]

Maybe see -

    pyvisa (https://pyvisa.readthedocs.io/en/latest/)