On 11/2/23 04:58, Chris Green via Python-list wrote:
I have a couple of systems which used to have python2 as well as
python3 but as Ubuntu and Debian verions have moved on they have
finally eliminated all dependencies on python2.

So they now have only python3 and there is no python executable in
PATH.

FWIW, for this you install the little stub package python-is-python3. Especially if you want to keep a python2 installation around - "python" will still be python3 in this case.

So, going on from this, how do I do the equivalent of "apt update; apt
upgrade" for my globally installed pip packages

Odds are you don't want to. The internet is full of surprises about dependency problems when stuff is blindly updated; the set of Python packages in the apt repositories is carefully curated to avoid these problems - and this is part of the reason why sometimes certain such packages are irritatingly down-rev.