Am 16.01.2024 um 23:44 schrieb Barry via Python-list:

On 16 Jan 2024, at 17:11, Sibylle Koczian via Python-list
<python-list@python.org> wrote:

while the new Windows 11 machine finds the Microsoft stub

You can turn off the stub in windows settings. The magic windows jargon is
“App Execution Aliases”. Once you find it in settings you can turn off
the python and python3 aliases.

Thank you! That did it. These two settings were off in the older Windows 10 installation and on in the new Windows 11. Changed there and the shebang lines with "/env" work as expected.

I didn't remember ever seeing these settings on my "old" computer, but it seems I turned them off six years ago and completely forgot about them. Or could that have been an older default?

"python" or "python3" in the shebang line doesn't seem to make a difference, at least not on machines that never saw Python 2.

Very glad to know what was the matter here,
Sibylle