On 10Apr2024 23:41, Alan Gauld <learn2prog...@gmail.com> wrote:
Normally, for any kind of fancy terminal work, I'd say use curses.

My problem with curses is that it takes over the whole terminal - you need to manage everything from that point on. Great if you want it (eg some full-terminal tool like `top`) but complex overkill for small interactive (or not interactive) commands which are basicly printing lines of text. Which is what many of my scripts are.

That said, you don't _have_ to use curses to run the whole terminal. You can use it to just look up the terminal capabilities and use those strings. I haven't tried that for colours, but here's some same code from my `cs.upd` module using curses to look up various cursor motion type things:

    ... up the top ...
    try:
      import curses
    except ImportError as curses_e:
      warning("cannot import curses: %s", curses_e)
      curses = None

    ... later we cache the available motions ...
    try:
      # pylint: disable=no-member
      curses.setupterm(fd=backend_fd)
    except TypeError:
      pass
    else:
      for ti_name in (
          'vi',  # cursor invisible
          'vs',  # cursor visible
          'cuu1',  # cursor up one line
          'dl1',  # delete one line
          'il1',  # insert one line
          'el',  # clear to end of line
      ):
        # pylint: disable=no-member
        s = curses.tigetstr(ti_name)
        if s is not None:
          s = s.decode('ascii')
        self._ti_strs[ti_name] = s

    ... then a method to access the cache ...
    def ti_str(self, ti_name):
      ''' Fetch the terminfo capability string named `ti_name`.
          Return the string or `None` if not available.
      '''
      return self._ti_strs.get(ti_name, None)

    ... and even later, use the method ...
    # emit cursor_up
    cursor_up = self.ti_str('cuu1')
    movetxts.append(cursor_up * (to_slot - from_slot))

Generally, when I add ANSI colours I do it via a little module of my own, `cs.ansi_colour`, which you can get from PyPI using `pip`.

The two most useful items in it for someone else are probably `colourise` and `colourise_patterns`. Link:
https://github.com/cameron-simpson/css/blob/26504f1df55e1bbdef00c3ff7f0cb00b2babdc01/lib/python/cs/ansi_colour.py#L96

I particularly use it to automatically colour log messages on a terminal, example code:
https://github.com/cameron-simpson/css/blob/26504f1df55e1bbdef00c3ff7f0cb00b2babdc01/lib/python/cs/logutils.py#L824