On 18/05/2024 19:12, Piergiorgio Sartor via Python-list wrote:

>> So venvs make managing all that pretty convenient. Dunno why everybody's
>> so down on venvs...

Not so much down on them, they are just one extra step that's
mostly not needed(in my use case)

> Only people which are *not* using python... :-)
>
> In my experience, venvs is the only possible
> way to use python properly.

Well, I've been using Python since 1998 on Linux, Windows
and MacOS and have yet to find a use for a venv. I've
played with them when they first came out but haven't
actually found a scenario where I've thought "I need
a venv for that!"

But then I'm a sole user, I have 3 or 4 projects going
but only me working on them. I only have 2 Python versions
at any time and the OS handles that just fine without
any venvs.

> The dependency nightmare created by python, pip
> and all the rest cannot be resolved otherwise.

I've honestly never experienced this "nightmare".
I install stuff and it just works.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site