On 5/18/24 10:48, Grant Edwards via Python-list wrote:
On 2024-05-18, Peter J. Holzer via Python-list <python-list@python.org> wrote:
On 2024-05-16 19:46:07 +0100, Gordinator via Python-list wrote:

To be fair, the problem is the fact that they use Windows (but I
guess Linux users have to deal with venvs, so we're even.

I don't think Linux users have to deal with venvs any more than
Windows users. Maybe even less because many distributions come with
a decent set of Python packages.

I've been using Python on Linux almost daily for 25 years,

same here, but:

 and I've
yet to use a venv...

Distros have do offer a good selection of packaged Python bits, yes, but only for the version of Python that's "native" to that distro release. If you need to test other versions of Python, you're mostly on your own. Just as an example, for a particular project I had one test machine running Fedora 38 until just a couple weeks ago, with Python 3.11 as "native" with a full suite of packages, but I needed to test 3.12 and then the 3.13 pre-releases, as well as occasionally sanity-check the "oldest supported Python for this project", which turned out to be 3.6. I could build all those Pythons myself and install them to a location I can "python3.xx -m pip install" to, but Fedora is nice enough to package up a whole bunch of past and future Python versions, so why? And Fedora really discourages doing installs via pip to a system-packaged Python. So venvs make managing all that pretty convenient. Dunno why everybody's so down on venvs...