On 5/19/2024 6:08 PM, Skip Montanaro via Python-list wrote:
Modern debian (ubuntu) and fedora block users installing using pip.

Even if you're telling it to install in ~/.local? I could see not allowing
to run it as root.

I honestly haven't tried. Maybe I should... 🤔 I have an old laptop running
XUbuntu 22.04 which I generally only use to compile the most recent
branches on GitHub (main, 3.12, & 3.13 at the moment).

On some (maybe all) of my Linux VMs, pip - the one installed for the system - won't install something even with --user unless you use the --break-system-packages flag.