On 5/19/2024 6:00 PM, Karsten Hilbert via Python-list wrote:
Am Sun, May 19, 2024 at 10:45:09PM +0100 schrieb Barry via Python-list:

On 18 May 2024, at 16:27, Peter J. Holzer via Python-list
<python-list@python.org> wrote:

I don't think Linux users have to deal with venvs

Modern debian (ubuntu) and fedora block users installing using pip.
You must use a venv to pip install packages from pypi now.

Which makes one wonder how one is supposed to package Python
applications requiring modules not yet packaged by Debian.

I confess, I sometimes install those packages using pip's self-warning option "--break-system-packages". Naturally I only install them with --user. Another option besides venvs is to install a different version of Python from python.org, not by using the system installer. For example, if your system version is, say, 3.8.10 (as it is on my Mint VM), install 3.11.9 and make sure you always launch pip with

python3.11 -m pip ....

I have done this on some VMs, and use the system's Python on some others. Happily none of my Linux VMs are critical for anything. I can blow them away and recreate them without worry.