On Sat, Jun 8, 2024 at 10:39 AM Mats Wichmann via Python-list <
python-list@python.org> wrote:

> On 6/5/24 05:10, Thomas Passin via Python-list wrote:
>
> > Of course, we see this lack of clarity all the time in questions to the
> > list.  I often wonder how these askers can possibly come up with
> > acceptable code if they don't realize they don't truly know what it's
> > supposed to do.
>
> Fortunately, having to explain to someone else why something is giving
> you trouble can help shed light on the fact the problem statement isn't
> clear, or isn't clearly understood. Sometimes (sadly, many times it
> doesn't).

The original question struck me as homework or an interview question for a
junior position. But having no clear requirements or specifications is good
training for the real world where that is often the case. When you question
that, you are told to just do something, and then you’re told it’s not what
is wanted. That frustrates people but it’s often part of the process.
People need to see something to help them know what they really want.