On 4/08/24 09:34, o1bigtenor via Python-list wrote:
On Sat, Aug 3, 2024 at 4:06 PM dn via Python-list <python-list@python.org>
wrote:

On 4/08/24 08:17, o1bigtenor via Python-list wrote:
Greetings

Looking at ESP8266 and wanting to program it using micropython (really
don't want to have to learn C++ (not enough hours in the day as it
is!!)).

One of the tools I need to be able to use is esptools - -  well in the
devuan world you need to run that on either Devaun 3 or 5 - - - its just
not available on devuan 4.

Tried installing all the tools I need using downloads and .deb installs
but
then I need to have python3.12 and that's also not part of Devuan4.

Not versed enough to set up a good venv (if that's possible) so that I
could work in that specific venv and have my cake (and get to eat it too
(grin!).

Suggestions - - - ideas - - - please?

Sorry if this offends, but this is a list of short-cuts and reasons why
they don't work (immediately).

Have just come from a discussion about 'how to start a project'. Amongst
the questions to ask are: "what resources do we have (or can add) to
achieve?".

Fair question details interleaved - - -

In this case, if Python-skill is a "personnel-resource" (and C++ a
"constraint"), will question the ESP over Raspberry Pi (say)?

Well - - - RPi world technical specs is usable from -20 to 60 C (iirc on
the top number)
and for my project I absolutely need to have usability to at least -40 - -
could possibly do a bit less but -35 C is a hard requirement so the RPi
and Pico (which I would like to use) is out but ESP8266 runs in that -40 to
65 C
range.

Interesting, but creates a mis-match of tools - battles for you to fight...

Why talking of Python 3.12 when the solution involves MicroPython?

Because one uses psytool on one computer to transfer a program to the
MicroPython system.  In fact there are a set of tools that need Python3.12
to be able to do this and therefore the question.

Perhaps need to take a step back and look at 'options' - relate needs to
resources, and evaluate the impact of each decision on later ones - as
well as against your personal skills (modify objectives to limits, or
accept that some learning/training will be necessary as pre-requisite to
(being able to) attack the project).

I have been investigating using a venv but am not finding clear directions
so
that I could set up Python3.12 inside (along with the other needed tools).
The
more I'm looking the less useful most of the information I'm finding is
becoming.
Therefore I thought I would go to the python gurus for information - - -
which I
have.

So please - - - how do I set up a venv so that I can install and run python
3.12
(and other needed programs related to 3.12) inside?

If you mean venv itself, which "directions" have you reviewed?
This one (https://python.land/virtual-environments/virtualenv) seems very straight-forward and shows "What's inside a venv?" to include python.exe. Given that venv is more-or-less the official/traditional solution, what are you doing differently - perhaps the question is lacking detail.
(see also @Cameron's take)

Personally, I'm using Poetry (https://python-poetry.org) which seemed just as easy to pick-up; plus pyenv to maintain multiple versions of Python on one machine.

--
Regards,