On Sat, Aug 3, 2024 at 7:11 PM dn via Python-list <python-list@python.org>
wrote:

> On 4/08/24 09:34, o1bigtenor via Python-list wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 3, 2024 at 4:06 PM dn via Python-list <
> python-list@python.org>
> > wrote:

> >> is!!)).

> just

> >> but

> too

> >> Sorry if this offends, but this is a list of short-cuts and reasons why
> >> they don't work (immediately).
> >>

> >> Have just come from a discussion about 'how to start a project'. Amongst
> >> the questions to ask are: "what resources do we have (or can add) to
> >> achieve?".
> >>

> > Fair question details interleaved - - -
> >

> >> In this case, if Python-skill is a "personnel-resource" (and C++ a
> >> "constraint"), will question the ESP over Raspberry Pi (say)?
> >>

> > Well - - - RPi world technical specs is usable from -20 to 60 C (iirc on
> > the top number)
> > and for my project I absolutely need to have usability to at least -40 -
> -
> > could possibly do a bit less but -35 C is a hard requirement so the RPi
> > and Pico (which I would like to use) is out but ESP8266 runs in that -40
> > 65 C
> > range.
>
> Interesting, but creates a mis-match of tools - battles for you to fight...

Not really - - - it takes a computer with psytool and about 5 or 6 other
python3.12
programs to load the microcontroller.
It is in writing the program for the microcontroller that micropython is
used not at
all in the loading.

> >> Why talking of Python 3.12 when the solution involves MicroPython?
> >>

> > Because one uses psytool on one computer to transfer a program to the
> > MicroPython system.  In fact there are a set of tools that need
> Python3.12
> > to be able to do this and therefore the question.
> >

> >> Perhaps need to take a step back and look at 'options' - relate needs to
> >> resources, and evaluate the impact of each decision on later ones - as
> >> well as against your personal skills (modify objectives to limits, or
> >> accept that some learning/training will be necessary as pre-requisite to
> >> (being able to) attack the project).
> >>
> >> I have been investigating using a venv but am not finding clear
> directions
> > so
> > that I could set up Python3.12 inside (along with the other needed
> tools).
> > The
> > more I'm looking the less useful most of the information I'm finding is
> > becoming.
> > Therefore I thought I would go to the python gurus for information - - -
> > which I
> > have.
> >
> > So please - - - how do I set up a venv so that I can install and run
> python
> > 3.12
> > (and other needed programs related to 3.12) inside?
>
> If you mean venv itself, which "directions" have you reviewed?
> This one (https://python.land/virtual-environments/virtualenv) seems
> very straight-forward and shows "What's inside a venv?" to include
> python.exe. Given that venv is more-or-less the official/traditional
> solution, what are you doing differently - perhaps the question is
> lacking detail.
>
> Interesting - - - that's the doc I have been reading.

My question was, is and will be (and the doc absolutely doesn't cover it)
how do I install a different version in the venv so that python 3.11.x on
the
system is not discombobulated by the python 3.12.x in the venv.
That python 3.12 would let me run the tools needed.
(Its the how to install the next version of python that I just haven't been
able to find information on - - - and I would be looking for information
on how to install on a *nix.)

> Personally, I'm using Poetry (https://python-poetry.org) which seemed
> just as easy to pick-up; plus pyenv to maintain multiple versions of
> Python on one machine.

Will give python-poetry a look.

Have been looking at pyenv but that seems to be a whole rat's nest of other
stuff to install and its using a bunch of different tools to get there - -
- is it
necessary - - - yes or no (in the running of multiple python versions on
the
same machine).

Regards