On 2024-08-03 15:17:11 -0500, o1bigtenor via Python-list wrote:
> One of the tools I need to be able to use is esptools - -  well in the
> devuan world you need to run that on either Devaun 3 or 5 - - - its just
> not available on devuan 4.

Couldn't you just upgrade to Devuan 5, then?

> Tried installing all the tools I need using downloads and .deb installs but
> then I need to have python3.12 and that's also not part of Devuan4.

It seems weird that something would work with the (presumably) older
version of Python in Devuan 3 and the (presumably) newer version of
Python in Devuan 5, but not with the version in Devuan 4.

> Not versed enough to set up a good venv (if that's possible) so that I
> could work in that specific venv and have my cake (and get to eat it too
> (grin!).

You need to install Python first to create a venv. AFAIK there is no way
to set up a venv first and then install Python into it.

Does Devuan have a testing or unstable suite? You might be able to
install a newer Python version from that. If not your best bet is to
install Python from source.

        hp