On Sun, Aug 4, 2024 at 4:24 AM Peter J. Holzer via Python-list <
python-list@python.org> wrote:

> On 2024-08-03 15:17:11 -0500, o1bigtenor via Python-list wrote:
> > One of the tools I need to be able to use is esptools - -  well in the
> > devuan world you need to run that on either Devaun 3 or 5 - - - its just
> > not available on devuan 4.
>
> Couldn't you just upgrade to Devuan 5, then?

I like uptime and not measured in hours either so I'm presently not running
Devuan 5
or testing - - - although I used to. Just found that I didn't need the most
recent versions
of most of the tools I was using so find the stability (except for the
bloody browsers)
in stable version is to be appreciated.

> > Tried installing all the tools I need using downloads and .deb installs
> but
> > then I need to have python3.12 and that's also not part of Devuan4.
>
> It seems weird that something would work with the (presumably) older
> version of Python in Devuan 3 and the (presumably) newer version of
> Python in Devuan 5, but not with the version in Devuan 4.

Well - - - pstool was available in a version that worked in Devuan 3,
psytool is available in a version that works in Devuan 4 - - - beyond my
pay
grade as to why there isn't a version available for Devuan 4.

> > Not versed enough to set up a good venv (if that's possible) so that I
> > could work in that specific venv and have my cake (and get to eat it too
> > (grin!).
>
> You need to install Python first to create a venv. AFAIK there is no way
> to set up a venv first and then install Python into it.
>
> Does Devuan have a testing or unstable suite? You might be able to
> install a newer Python version from that. If not your best bet is to
> install Python from source.

First question answered earlier.
If I installed python 3.12 from source I would create a hung system for
myself.
(Been there and done that - - - got the T-shirt and it still stinks!)

Regards