On 2006-01-16, Tim Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/mackay/itila/Potter.html
>
> [Grant Edwards]
>> That made me smile on a Monday morning (not an insignificant
>> accomplishment).  I noticed in the one footnote that the H.P.
>> book had been "translated into American".  I've always wondered
>> about that.  I noticed several spots in the H.P. books where
>> the dialog seemed "wrong": the kids were using American rather
>> than British English.  I thought it rather jarring.
>
> You should enjoy:
>
>    http://www.hp-lexicon.org/about/books/differences.html

Very interesting.  And rather sad that editors think the
average Amermican reader too dim-witted to figure out (in
context, even) that a "car park" is a "parking lot" and a
"dustbin" is a "trash can."

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  It don't mean a
                                  at               THING if you ain't got