Christoph Zwerschke wrote:

> "These operators ≤ ≥ ≠ should be added to the language having the
> following meaning:
>
>       <= >= !=
>
> this should improve readibility (and make language more accessible to
> beginners).

I assume most python beginners know some other programming language, and
are familiar with the >= and friends. Those learning python as their
first programming language will benefit from learning the >= when they
learn a new language.

Unicode is not yet supported everywhere, so some editors/terminals might
display the suggested one-char operators as something else, effectively
"guess what operator I was thinking".

Fortran 90 allowed >, >= instead of .GT., .GE. of Fortran 77. But F90
uses ! as comment symbol and therefore need /= instead of != for
inequality. I guess just because they wanted. However, it is one more
needless detail to remember. Same with the suggested operators.