COMMON
src
        a.b.c.common
test
        a.b.c.common

Ok, first thing... it won't work becaus as soon as python finds the first a.b.c.common it will bail on the other... That's the default approach for java, becase it will give you access to module-level things declared as 'default', that otherwise you wouldn't have access (in python all are grown-ups, so that's not necessary) and it won't bail out in the first match. So, in python, you'd probably do something as: test/test.a.b.c.common or create a tests dir as src/a.b.c.common.tests (I guess there are other solutions, but those 2 seem more appealing to me -- coming from a java background).

I believe you'd be able to keep that structure and play with the pythonpath if you wanted, but it could be too brittle in the end, and lead to hard-to-discover problems.

Cheers,

Fabio