> > Vim is great if you have a good memory... Otherwise you end up trawling
> > through the help to find out how to do stuff that would in another IDE
> > be just a few menu clicks away.
>
> Mental memory (the painful kind of memory) rapidly turns into muscle
> memory (the fun kind of memory) and all of those mind boggling
> keystrokes begin to feel like an artistic expression reminiscent of
> playing the piano.

That's probably true. I still have a long way to go to get the most out
of vim though, because it takes a certain amount of mental memory to be
able to use the keystrokes often enough to turn them into muscle
memory...

I tend to use gvim on my PC if I'm also working on my server via ssh -
that way it doesn't matter if I type a few ESC :w's or :dd's. Otherwise
I tend to use jEdit.