On 02/01/2009 07:37 PM, Chong Yidong wrote:
Beverley Eyre<f...@comcast.net>  writes:

 From my understanding, no one suggesting cutting and pasting your
code.

Dave's objection, if I understand it correctly, is precisely the cutting
and pasting of his code:

   this all originated when I complained about someone distributing a
   chunk of my code with the FSF copyright notice stripped as a patch for
   python-mode.el, which was under a simple permissive licence.

I don't have time to go and re-read the beginning of this thread, but I recall that very early on, everyone agreed that 'merging' couldn't be done by cutting and pasting because of the incompatible structures involved. The conversation was about how each mode accomplished this or that (e.g. indenting), and which features were offered by each.

You mean that this whole cacophony could have been avoided if we had just assured Dave that no cutting and pasting would occur?

Bev