Tim Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> So, you're from that OTHER OSU?  (From an Oregon State University
> alumnus...)

and, don't forget about that other other OSU, Oklahoma State.  :-)

> Google is your friend.  WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW is used to create floating
> toolbars, which can exist outside of the parent app.  You don't want
> those showing up as main windows.  WS_EX_CONTROLPARENT essentially says
> "this window contains other controls".  Getting rid of this probably
> gets rid of text-only windows, like tooltips and balloon help.

thanks for the explanation.  I of course I did google for these
things, but found the explanations puzzling; not coming from a Windows
background, I figured there was some hidden knowledge that I could
pick up from this group; the WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW one sort of makes sense,
but I did not see why being a window that contains other controls
should exclude a window from the alt-TAB list; after all, for example,
Web browsers contain other controls, such as text boxes, etc.

> The "spyxx.exe" tool can be used to poke around the window list to
>find these things.

looks like that is not a free tool, apparently bundled with Microsoft
Visual C++, so I guess I can not try that for now.
--
Benjamin Rutt