Andrew Kirkpatrick wrote:
> Roger Upole wrote:
>> Andrew Kirkpatrick wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, I'm having a play with python on windows and installed pywin32
>>> version 210 for python 2.5. There is a nifty example
>>> C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\win32comext\shell\demos\servers\shell_view.py
>>> that creates a virtual folder under the desktop root in windows
>>> explorer...
>>
>> It doesn't support the default Open verb invoked by double-clicking.
>> Right click and select Explore, and it will show up as an expandable
>> item.  The Scintilla file view that should show up in explorer's right window
>> doesn't work at the moment, but I have some uncommitted changes
>> that allow it to work on XP.
>>

> Roger you're correct, funny thing is the item on the desktop only sports
> options that launch explorer viewing the desktop, then when I right
> click on the same item in that explorer window there is a non-default
> option 'Expand' that triggers the COM server and gives a view of
> sys.path. (This is on XP, BTW) I'll have to read up about this interface
> to explorer and its use in python. Is there a good source of info on this?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Andy

The MSDN docs for shell namespace extensions are your best bet.
Also, check MSDN for the interfaces used in shell_view.py, such as
IShellFolder.

The pythoncom documentation for how you implement these
interfaces in a server class is somewhat lacking, however.
Most of the docs are focused on the client interfaces.

         Roger