Thanks again Tim G, Tim R and Mark M.  Apparently the problem is a lot
more involved than I had hoped/anticipated.  Other than WHASUP and
pywinauto, I'm also looking into AutoIt (http://www.autoitscript.com),
seems I can put something together that's close to what I want without
much difficulty. Hopefully i can find a little more time over the
weekend to explore more.

Mark, thanks for the info. about AutoCAD class names. AutoIt comes
with a tool which helps user to examine various info. about the active
window, among which is the class name.  I have been playing a bit with
PyHook and I'm trying to write a small tool for AutoCAD with it.  Not
sure if I can pull through or not.

Tim R, What do you mean by "installing" a Windows hook? Any example
available? Regarding usability, now that you asked, i'm thinking i
can't check the CapsLock for every 0.1 second, it should only be
checked when the current application is changed.  Once the user is
using AutoCAD or Word and the CapsLock is pressed by the user, the
program should not change the CapsLock status.  For AutoCAD, what
really matters is when user starts to edit TEXT/MTEXT or Block
Attribute.  So what the program really needs to wait is the windows
related to such editings popping up.

--
Kelie