Tim Roberts wrote:
> Tim Golden wrote:
>> It's actually made a bit easier by using
>> the Win32_DeviceChange event under WMI
>> (you will not be surprised to hear me say!)
>>
>> But once you've got the fact that the device has
>> changed, I'm not sure where you go from there...
>
> I admit that WMI is not my strong suit, but using the WMI object browser
> on my machine, I find that Win32_SystemDevices contains a key called
> Win32_USBHub which contains DeviceID entries for all of the USB devices
> on my computer.  I have never attempted it, but I suspect that's all the
> OP would need.
>
> And actually, since I *think* he said he was working with a printer, he
> may be able to look at the Win32_Printer collection instead.

(I spend most of my WMI time doing detective work like that!)

I think what I meant was that the OP wanted to step through
some kind installation process when the device was initiated.
At least, I think that's what he wanted to do. And I'm not
sure how much closer the WMI device objects take you to that
dialog, which presumably just pops up.

TJG