MSDN documents that  " For performance reasons, multiple notifications may
be combined into a single notification. For example, if a large number of
SHCNE_UPDATEITEM notifications are generated for files in the same folder,
they can be joined into a single SHCNE_UPDATEDIR notification."

which I suspect is your problem.  I work on an app that makes heavy use of
SHChangeNotify and handling the notifications and I've not had any problems
(other than some machines failing to SHChangeNotifyRegister, for reasons
that escape me)

Cheers,

Mark