Old thread, but I got a little more data on the function. The function
actually has a REFIID as the first parameter. This apparently is a standard
structure for C COM code.  I'm not entirely sure why the win32com changes
the REFIID to be a VT_RECORD. Does the following definition of the functions
help at all (they are from the IDL file)

HRESULT GetInterface( [in] REFIID riid, [out, retval, iid_is(riid)]
IUnknown** ppUnknown);
should be same as:
HRESULT GetInterface( [in] GUID* pGuid, [out, retval, iid_is(pGuid)]
IUnknown** ppUnknown);