bob gailer wrote:
Tim Roberts wrote:
bob gailer wrote:

Please omit the space before ( in code. I find that very distracting. Example:

print result.Properties_ ("sValue").Value # current

print result.Properties_("sValue").Value # preferred, and how most code I've seen looks.

Do you understand that this is strictly a personal preference? Some people like it, some people don't. You are certainly allowed to "prefer" one over the other, but it's a bit much to ask someone else to change their coding style to match yours, unless you are a paying client. ;)

I agree. Please consider that all of the code examples I've seen in the official Python documentation have no space before the (. Most newcomers to Python who goes thru the tutorial will learn that way of coding. I imagine it would be confusing for them to later see code with the space. Same true for Python cookbook. Follow Tim's link to Windows Registry Functions <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms724875%28VS.85%29.aspx>. MS's examples. Ditto. I'm aiming for consistency, and minimal confusion for many.

It's a fair point. For now (basically because I can do it faster)
I'll go with my spaces-before convention. When I get a chance to
breathe we can revisit this and other other coding style issues.
All the example code is in individual Python files so a global
search-and-replace should be possible if it becomes desirable.

[... snip description of problems with the PythonWin interpreter ...]

Yes, I tried that to see what you meant. I'm not sure there's
much I'm going to be able to do about that, unless someone
jumps in with a solution. My main point about the examples is
that they're self-contained. (ie you don't need to prearrange
any data or install any modules unless indicated). The ability
to drop them into a Python interpreter window is a nice-to-have
which I make use of whenever I'm posting code.

If anyone can suggest anything here, even in the form of a hint
in the docs, please let me know.

Thanks for your continued interest, Bob.

TJG