Mark Norley wrote:

I've got a Python script that outputs a large text file of data and I've recently made a simple GUI for it in Visual Basic (2008). While it's simple enough to launch the Python script and pass it command line parameters from VB using Shell(python etc), I'm wondering how to pass information back to VB from Python. For example, it would be nice to be able to let VB know that the Python script has finished (at the moment I am repeatedly checking for the existence of the aforementioned text file, and sleeping for a short while if it hasn't appeared, which is clumsy but works).

Ideally, I would like to be able to pass parameters to Python functions from VB and return values back to VB, just using VB for the front end while Python does all the hard work. I know I could just use Tkinter but is this sort of integration between Python and VB possible?

Yes, with some glue. You can turn your Python script into a COM server, and then use the .NET COM Interop to invoke it from your VB code.

Is that more trouble than starting a process and monitoring its results? You'll have to judge that yourself...

--
Tim Roberts, [EMAIL PROTECTED]