Dahlstrom, Roger wrote:
> I understand where you're coming from, I just don't like how Windows handles
> such things.  My opinion is that determining file type by extension
> (arbitrary at that) is a bad thing to begin with.

This is veering a bit off-topic for this mailing list, but I'd be
curious to hear what alternatives you would suggest.  It's a difficult
problem to solve generically, but if you've brainstormed about it, I'd
like to hear your thoughts.  The extension scheme has always seemed
quite sensible to me.

Windows, for the most part, uses the extension to look up a handler in
the registry.  The old Mac OS used a fourcc scheme, where you embedded a
code identifier in the resource fork of the file itself.  That makes
many things unnecessarily hard.  Linux uses the "shebang" technique,
where the first line of a file (#!) identifies the handler.