On 19/08/2009 10:31 AM, Gary Smith wrote:
Mark,
Thanks for helping. Of course your answers bring more questions.
You wrote:
Assuming you *can* register it [the COM server] but just fail to use it
Do you mean it's registered, but I'm accessing it wrong, so not at all?  I
can see that possibility.  Also, I think it's a fault to use
Pythoncom.CreateGuid each and every time I register the object.  Perhaps I
should reuse the guid.

You most certainly should not use CreateGuid each time you are registering it - that will cause all sorts of problems, including lots of garbage entries in your registry. I suspect this is the root of your problem.

If you can find any examples which do this, please let us know so we can correct them.

Mark

You wrote:
you may like to google for using --debug when registering, then using the
win32trace
I was unaware of win32trace, so thanks for that. Can it be that win32trace
causes the Python error to be elevated to VB's awareness -- that's where I
now see details of a Python com server failure -- rather than in the Python
trace collector?  That's clever.
Thank you for your suggestions.  You've given me a couple of new lines of
attack.
Cheers, Gary Smith